View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #20061
littlezav

Drives: b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnocracy View Post
Went to the Autozone to buy something to remove hard water spots or wax steaks from my windshield...they didn't have the RainX goo remover or 0000 steel wool I was after...they did have two 9011 Bulbs...

The streaking on the windshield is madding...in the morning after the dew has been hit with the wiper blades...the remaining moisture has to air dry...no amount of wiping removes it and in the dark of early morning an oncoming car or street light illuminates the moisture where it is as opaque as frost until the light source moves past...so...checking the internet for ways to clean my windshield.

1. White Vinegar. My wife keeps a gallon to add to the wash or use as a natural cleaner. Soaked a hand towel and started rubbing...cleaned with water and still see the same pattern. No improvement

2. Dawn Dish soap. Rinsed the hand towel...liberal amount of liquid soap...rub in circles...horizontal strokes...vertical strokes...rinse....ugh...

3. Really frustrated at this point...so I go with the brillo pad...Wet the glass and start to do circles...this feels promising...as I work to new areas the pad grabs on the first stroke and the following stroke feels easier...once the entire area has been worked I rinse and dry...pattern is still there but maybe...just maybe faded.

Cleaned windshield wiper blades

I give up. Waiting til my next early morning dew-commute to see if it has improved...on to the high beam bulb modification.

Last week I modified the low beams using a H11 bulb...It is noticeably better...at the time there was only one 9011 bulb for the high beam mod...so I put it off til I found two...different Autozone and $50 later I pull out a hack saw blade and needle nose pliers...compare existing bulb to new one and see I have to remove a heavy 1/8 of top tab. Make cut with hack saw (holding blade in my hand) and break away the waste with needle nose pliers. They install without issue.

Night comes...grab a 32oz cup of water...splash on the FR-S windshield...hit the windshield wipers and pray...promising results blades seem to cut the moisture...I'll have to wait til the morning dew point is close to the actual temperature to see if there is improvement.

Head to the country two lanes to get away from street lights...hit the high beams...I'm pleased with the improvement of the bulb swap-mod compared to stock...Easy no pulling off the front clip to remove headlight buckets and putting them in the oven etc. etc.
clay bar.
littlezav is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to littlezav For This Useful Post:
Hypnocracy (11-13-2018)