Old 05-29-2023, 12:52 PM   #477
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm familiar, and a lot of has to do with driving force to make the entire process overcomplicated, even in the case of Tesla. There really isn't as much need for all the communication with the pump. It's a nice to have feature but isn't critical. The whole process should be no harder than charging your cellphone, and payment should be done through methods that have worked for, and people are familar with, for several decades.

Yet, he could have just sold the adapter rather than complicating it by insisting on installing it at the pump which means it will be a slow process.

I agree what Ford has done is a good thing for them.

As far as Tesla building an infrastructure, they had to do it to sell cars. But, if we hold Musk at his word that he wants to electrify driving regardless of who you buy the car from, then my thought is he should spin the network off as its on independent entity and force it to be "brand neutral" moving forward. That said, I applaud Tesla for recognizing the need and taking the bull by the horns.

As far as VW, they didn't really want to build a network, they were pretty much forced into it by their settlement over Dieselgate.
I don’t know everything about what it takes to supercharger a battery, but I think it is more complicated than just plugging in the vehicle because the cord is cooled, the battery temperature and charge level might determine how much electricity the car can receive, and also, the battery packs might have different charge ability/capacity; the station might have 320kW capacity, but the vehicle might only have 200kW, so communication between the vehicle and charger is probably much more intricate than just plugging it in like a power tool. Tesla batteries condition themselves, as they approach a supercharger, so that battery is ideal temperature for charging.

https://www.tesla.com/support/videos.../supercharging

From what I understand from the above video and article below, you get a lot of information from Tesla’s supercharger network, and you can use it much more seamlessly. With non-Teslas, the process requires a few more steps, but is still better, and it should be even better on future Fords once they integrate Tesla’s API and plugs. Like adding Apple CarPlay, I think there could be software on top of firmware and hardware upgrades. If Ford customers can use the map function to plan routes and determine which chargers are open and likely to be free then that would be a big upgrade in features for Ford customers. If the battery can be conditioned too and everything then charging will be faster, stations will be less congested because of it, and the batteries will likely last longer over the life of the vehicle.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/25/fo...uture-evs/amp/

Quote:
“We’re very happy to support Ford vehicles with the Tesla Supercharger network, and also provide API access,” Musk said Thursday. “So like a Ford vehicle can charge at a Tesla supercharger using a Ford app seamlessly. Essentially, the idea is that we don’t want the Tesla Supercharger network to be like a walled garden. We want it to be something that is supportive of electrification and sustainable transport in general.”
Quote:
During the Twitter Spaces, Farley praised the location of Tesla’s Superchargers, the reliability of the routing software and the ease of use of Tesla’s connector.
Dadhawk (05-29-2023)