View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #31
Azyael

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I can see how some people go for autos because that is all they have ever experienced. Or maybe they have driven a friend's manual but never owned their own. But what I don't get is how someone can drive a manual on a daily and then scrap it for an auto. Perfectly matched double clutches while heal toeing is so rewarding. I guess if you're like my wife where you simply drive from point a to point b and never learn any of the other driving techniques related to a manual then you would be more willing to give it up. I hear people complain about traffic a lot. I've been driving a manual in stop and go for 20 years. It was a 30 minute stop and go commute (one way) for the first 19 and now my office has moved so it's about 1 hour each direction now. When I say stop and go I mean, stop for 30sec.... roll 5 feet... stop for 30secs... for a freaking hour... every day. Never does it cross my mind to give up the manual. I also see people that are only concerned about specs on paper that go for the newer double cluch tranies. Even then I don't get it. It isn't worth a fraction of a second 0-60 to give up all the fun you get from a manual. Then I hear about people wanting to free up their hands in the turns.. we aren't driving F1 cars.. who cares. I suspect a lot of the people with that argument have never even lapped a racetrack.

Anyways, sorry to rant. I just hate seeing the death of manuals because of arguments like this. Not wanting to look around for a few weeks to find a manual is a pore excuse IMO. I remember my brother in law buying the Acura TL when it first came out. I told him to go for the manual because it not only did it come with a manual but it also came with Brembos unlike the auto. So he went to all the dealers in town and none of them had one on their lots.. so rather than telling them to locate/order one.. he gave in and got an auto. So now he just added to the statistics that makes the auto industry think no one wants a manual. I was talking to a salesman one day and asked why they never have manuals on hand. He said because they sell right away. Duh... so order more.

Anyways.. I really am done ranting. So, how is the auto FRS? Does it hold gears well, for example,. does it recognize when your in corners and hold a lower gear so you can have more engine braking ability to balance the car in the turn or anything like that? The computer has all the data needed to do something like this. Does it shift the instant you tell it to or does it just put it in the queue and shift when it gets a chance? Does it match revs when downshifting?
It holds the gears pretty well. I've honestly only driven mine with it in D like 4 times. Most of the time I'm in manual mode and it won't upshift you but it will downshift you to keep the engine safe.

Shifts are pretty instant if you put it in sport mode. I does rev match when downshifting too!