View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #5319
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
@steved @mistople that is very discouraging, what were your coolant temps? The front of the car is kind of crowded with all those cores, the only thing I can think of is making a shroud with a fan for the oil cooler but I'm pretty sure there's no room.

Best guess is the JR cars that ran with SCCA and won had stock-ish headers\exhaust, that would produce less power and less heat. I don't want to spend another $500 to find out it'll still overheat.
@peaches

For the record, my car setup is completely stock engine/exhaust wise + JRSC + JR track cooler, and I'm running the factory tune.

Coolant temp was ~12F below oil temps but honestly I wasn't keeping a close eye on coolant temp this time around so that isn't a good number to base anything on.

Agreed, strapping a fan to the oil cooler would be an interesting test, but you're right there really isn't any room in that area. I had some thoughts of relocating the cooler above the cooling stack and opening up 'nostrils' in the front bumper for airflow but I'm getting tired of spending money on track events to test cooling, and just want to drive the course.

Someone mentioned to me that maybe the oil cooler thermostat isn't opening properly at temps but if @mistople was seeing into the 230's with NA engine then all hope is lost and I should just cut my losses now.

Its really bothering me that our experiences are the exact opposite of what vendors in this thread are stating. I think we need a new thread focused on JRSC cooling at the track so there is more awareness in the forums as I suspect many people don't track their cars and the vast majority of user experiences/information is not applicable.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote