soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I'm 100% for getting people that do not enjoy driving into an autonomous car as fast as possible. I think 2025 might be early, because just like electric cars and hybrids, while the companies are all for it, the general public might not be as eager.

Also it looks like true actual 5g being everywhere is the absolute minimum beginning of true autonomous vehicles. That alone could also cause issues, because while certain urban areas could do this easily, rural areas like mine can have places where there still is zero actual signal to be had anywhere. I'll be all for actually getting good phone and internet service.

The other really good thing about it is along with telecommuting and 5g, it will revolutionize our society.
i'm not interested in 5g in it's current state. not for the cancer/voodoo, or whatever other reasons others keep dreaming up. i keep reading articles about how terrible the sub-millimeter signal travels, and how easily it's blocked by literally everything, and how many antenna's are needed for just basic coverage for a single city block...

i don't need or want anything faster. 4g is plenty of speed for me. heck, 3g was plenty fine until many sites started doing every-sentence-ad's... but i didn't argue with 4g because they didn't need to obliterate any area with multiple-more antenna's to cover the same area the old tech used...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
As someone who has extensive experience on Canadian roads (in Canadian weather), do you think that we can expect to see autonomous vehicles rolling down the street in, say, London ONT anytime soon?

Everytime I see the shoddy state of our roads and lane markings (or drive on a snow-covered multi-lane) I just can't help but be massively-skeptical about the claims that we'll be puttering around in our AV Pods within 10 years.

In Cupertino, maybe - but the rest of the world, with poor roads, poor weather/visibility, etc., I just can't see it happening.
it's become a running joke in many automotive news circles that any technological advancement is only 2 years out at any given moment.

looking through the categories that iihs created for all of the reports, it seems that a computer driving would have a significant effect in every one of them, not just 1/3 as they say-- outside of a vehicle component failure, most of the categories are heavily defined by the driver either making sporadic decisions, or being distracted in a number of different ways...

a computer following a pre-planned route, and abiding by the local laws, would not be affected by the majority of the circumstances...

i can't help but think that their funding source (insurance companies) is intentionally clouding the results for their own benefit...
daiheadjai (06-10-2020)