View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #17
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stopped at light and suddenly cannot put into gear? I got exactly such issue two months ago.
Problem was reverse detent, that got worn (or moved? or misadjusted? (had few service work that included gearbox drop month before that)). Most probably if you don't push strongly to left, then you'll be able to slide into 1st or 2nd easily as before, you can try this as temporary fix. If you push lever to left strongly, due misadjusted (or worn) detent you would be able to put in gear only if you rise reverse-lockout .. but obviously that would mean that instead of 1st you get reverse (use this as test if your issue is same - if you can or cannot get into gear easily depending on how strong you push lever to side).
It really freaked me out, as i couldn't understand what was going on. In some cases i could easily put into gear, in some, 1st & 2nd was unusable, and had to start from stoplight in 3rd, dragging & wearing clutch a lot. It started midway during long drive and took me long time and several such fscked up starts at traffic lights, stops at parking to try find wtf is going on. I guess when i got even angrier i subconsciously tried to push even stronger to side, to get into 1st & 2nd "for sure", failing even more often, while with light gearswitches test when parked was fine. Long time and lot of wrecked nerves to notice pattern. Might been there even long before, but by coincidence not triggered until i pressed lever to side too strong, when wanted to put in 1st at that stop light.
For permanent fix, i brought it to dealership, voiced my observations and probable reason, and they fixed it. Though told me that detent looked rather worn, and readjustment will work for now, but if in future issue reappears, i should replace.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote