View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #22
RacingredGR86

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Having owned a 2018 STI and until recently contemplating between the new WRX vs new BRZ/ GR86, I would suggest skipping the STI and the WRX. Wait for the GR and don't fully write off the Type R.

STI: It's a jack of all trades car in that you can take it to the snow, carry 4 people, has adequate trunk space, with some minor mods (more front camber, rear swaybar) can be fund on the track/ autox. However, unless you spend $$$ on suspension such as better shocks/ coilovers, it will not handle as well on the track and autox as a bone stock BRZ/ GR86. Also the turbo lag is something that was cool maybe 15 years ago but is really the weakpoint of the EJ25 motor compare to more modern 4 cylinder turbo motors now available.

New WRX: I just can't get over the plastic cladding. I did almost pull the trigger and swapped my STI for a new WRX with the thought of buying a miata as a 2nd autox/ track car. After considering it more, aside from better gas mileage my STI looked better, was more capable, and I decided against it.

Corolla GR: based on specs and how the Yaris GR has been well received, this seems to be the car that the STI used to be; street car based on actual rally racing tech. If you can get one w/o markup, this is the one to get IMO.

Type R: although FWD, this car drives so well. I've driven my friend's Type R for extended period of time and it's the reason why I decided to part ways with my STI. I would suggest looking into this car more if you're looking for a car that has room, can be daily driven, but can also be a fund car for occasional autox and HPDE.
RacingredGR86 is offline   Reply With Quote