Old 08-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-animator View Post
prior to the brz i was driving a fwd hot hatch (volvo c30 r with a turbo 2.5). It was a fun car but after being in the brz for the last 5+ years i really enjoy RWD type dynamics a lot more than FWD. I know AWD cars like the WRX don't exactly handle like a RWD car, but much closer and much less understeery. theres just a lot more fun to be had when you're driving the rear wheels, at least for me.

rwd sedans were on the radar for me but other than an m340i or m3 (both out of my price range) nothing was really appealing to me in terms of having a light, dynamic sportscar type feel, and most options aren't really available with a stick anymore. to be honest with you my ideal next car would be something like an RX8 - a proper sports car with four doors. unfortunatley the RX8 isn't really a dailyable car at this point given age and reliability, but if they released an RX9 with suicide doors tomorrow i would be the first one at the dealership.
If there was a 4-door version of the GR86/BRZ that drove the same, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It'd be a modern Japanese e36 M3 sedan. Definitely a hole in the market currently. Honestly the 2+2 BRZ is not a bad compromise for how little I use the rear seats (have two kids who use them occasionally), but still not fun.

FWIW I used to own an STI hatch and it doesn't really feel RWD at all at the limit despite the rear-biased torque split, it's more like FWD plus.

I'd see if you can get an allocation for a GR Corolla. Probably the closest new car match for what you're looking for. Maybe consider a low mileage, good condition E36 M3 sedan if you can find one. Possibly a used Focus RS.
Agree RX-8 is probably out of the question for reliability reasons.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote