strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB86 View Post
thanks for the info Strat61caster, would you say its only possible on a mono tube to have it on the lower part if its inverted , but if its twin tube its likely? I kind of got the impression from Bilstein that they don't make many like the 86 design anymore at the rear.

Just a quick question - do people set the rear harder than the front on 1 way coilovers generally on the 86 based on its weight balance?
86 KW twin tubes in the rear are non-inverted just like the Bilsteins, on their single adjustable mechanism or rebound only mechanism on the shaft it's inside the car just like the Bilsteins, it's only the double adjustable that puts compression on the damper body.

As far as I'm aware nobody makes an inverted damper for the rear of the 86, and that's true for most double wishbone/multi-link suspension designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
I’m curious if anyone here has tried these B16 or B14 converted with linear springs...it should be relatively easy using Kw hardware like main springs, helpers and upper mounts (v3 or Clubsport if using Kw camber plates)...does anyone know how much spring rate these Bilsteins could tolerate without revalving? Maybe up to 6 or 7kg?
Yes. B14/B16 kit comes with front springs that level out to 4.5kg/mm and rears at 7.0kg/mm, but I've heard +/- 100# (2k) springs can be acceptable, less ideal but sometimes the need for spring rate dominates. I wouldn't hesitate to go up to 7k front and 8k rear and you could probably push a little beyond that, worst case the damping can't keep up and the ride suffers.

Racecomp has done it too iirc, there's a few posts floating around here. I wouldn't mess around with the KW camber plates, I had a bad failure on another platform with their design, if you can import Raceseng camber plates affordably that would be ideal imho.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
EB86 (04-05-2021), marco_mc22 (04-05-2021)