Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
That was my main concern before buying the B16s from you guys. But after driving them that concern was almost entirely eliminated. What about the progressive rear springs of the B16s on an 86 (specifically) makes them not ideal for someone? I have some thoughts of my own, but would especially like to hear your detailed opinion.
TIA, Andrew.
Some of it has been mentioned already, but progressive springs are inherently a compromise. That compromise is worthwhile for some people, and less ideal for others. The change in response and that little bit of extra chassis movement with the progressive spring may not be a big deal. But with stickier tires and a more focused car, it might not be what you want.

Suspension systems for a road car are all about compromise. The more specialized the car gets (for auto-x, the track, or sweet ass rally jumps)...the fewer compromises you want to make. Just one specific part of that in how it relates to a progressive spring would be shock valving. How do you spec rebound damping? Do you set up your valving around the stiffer spring rate or the softer rate? What will the effect be during body roll motions, hard braking, or big bumps?

If you're using less sticky tires and you don't need stiffer spring rates, you can be conservative and it'll be good. But that changes as the car gets more focused.

Hope that helps. EDIT: Again, not saying that progressive spring = bad. Just that it's better in some applications, and not as good as the car gets more track focused (or at least more complicated).

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 04-06-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
solidONE (04-06-2020)