View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I want to make this clear, that the Autocrossing segment is just apart of the series of videos of what I did with the stock car. Wanted to show how supercharging effected the drivability before and after.

It's more fun, but the point was this is one form of motorsports where you are not rewarded for outright speed. The stock FR-S/BRZ with stock allowed mods of tires, front sway bar is almost perfect here.

Most people who do major mods skip autocross completely and go right to the track. I put more value on autocross than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I think most ppl know a SC or Turbo is not the answer for auto crossing. While your video was good, the information you provide is a pretty known fact. You want to get good at autocross and small short tracks, you want tires, suspension and lots of seat time, plain and simple.
Yes I agree, that what I was trying to highlight. Forced induction does not transform this car here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
I honestly think you went with the wrong FI for your application.

It has nothing on NA with tune until after 4000rpm.
Absolutely no comparison to twinscrew from 600 until 5800rpm (5200rpm total range, where you will be at +90% of the time), and not much either for the last 1600rpm.
It gets obliterated by avo from 2000rpm (not going spend much time under that for any spirited driving) up to 7400 rpm, total of 5400rpm.... The whole violent boost buildup is overplayed on this setup too due to the turbo size and location, not exactly high boost level either.

Area under the graph is everything.
This video was originally like 15 minutes because I went on in commentary about how different forms of FI would net the same result. But cut it down because it was long winded.

The point was that no matter what kit you put on, the car was grip limited by pavement, and suspension/tire setup more power in the low end would have upset the rear in sections where you were already fighting for grip.

In terms of every video I have seen from every FI kit under 230HP the difference in outright acceleration through 1st and 2nd gear are within a 1/2 second. It's just not going to matter in autox in a very measurable way until you start unloading big money on suspension/chassis changes.