Old 01-19-2023, 01:17 AM   #348
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, yea, I basically said it was my opinion. All opinions, even those based somewhat on fact, are subjective.

Bottom line, most Tesla models break my first rule of premium/luxury models. It needs to have an instrument panel straight in front of me, not an iPad stuck to the dash. It needs to have real controls for things that you use every day, and it needs to not look like the generic definition of car.

All the "coolness factor" built into Tesla cars has one job, detract from what the remove from the cockpit and focus everyone on the software squirrels ("stalkless" turn signals, farting turn signals and waggling wings anyone?)

Also, everyone brings up the charging network. Well, OK, but its not an advantage to me because I'm not going to road trip an EV, at least not yet. It's a non-factor. Sure, if you are going "all in" on electric then it matters, otherwise you charge at home and it doesn't. If you can't charge at home, then don't buy an EV, or buy a Tesla.

Again my opinion only. Turns out since it's my opinion it's not wrong, for me.
You said there is absolutely nothing premium about the Model 3. What are some premium qualities or features you come to expect from a premium vehicle?

You said the 1977 Civic was more premium than a Model 3...because it has gauges in front of the driver and buttons? To each their own, but there is nothing inherently premium about buttons or stalks to me. They might be high on your priority list, but unless your priority list is something more than the interior of a Ford Fiesta then pretty much almost every car is a premium car by those standards. Those things can be nice when executed well, but they are also things that typically age poorly, either failing over time, wearing their surfaces from constant contact, and aging poorly over decades. While the spartan interior of the Model 3 isn't for everyone, like a Scandinavian Designs piece of furniture, it will age well. The UI on the giant tablet will change over time.

Really, the future is a bare interior with nothing but cup holders, a TV screen and swirling chairs for lounging and conversing, with the car on autopilot and the controls being entirely voiced.