View Single Post
Old 12-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #1060
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Sudden power loss while driving (as would result from an engine eating itself) is definitely a safety issue and recalls have been issued for just that. It doesn't matter whether it's due to mechanical failure, electrical issues or even a software glitch.
Even if the engine doesn't completely seize, a sudden loss of power with associated "complete engine failure" noises, potentially smoke, etc. can lead the average driver to panic and contribute to a crash.

If you've driven through multiple various vehicle failures before you'd probably take this in stride and maintain control, but that's hardly the norm among the driving public.

I grew up fairly poor, so one of the things included in my parental driver's ed was how to restart a stalled engine mid-left-turn with a sudden loss of power steering in a 2-ton sedan large enough to rival the footprint of a modern full-size truck. In my later youthful exuberance (outright stupidity) I blew a motor, completely gutted a CV joint, launched a car high enough to have it smash an oil pan, and other "useful" experiences that make even fairly uncommon failures something easy to take in stride.

Most people (intelligently or unimaginatively) have had less exciting experiences behind the wheel, and the Risk Management types at a manufacturing business have to worry about those most of all.

"What's the dumbest thing someone could do when this happens? Okay, now if we (safely) assume that's going to be a statistically-significant reaction, what's our plan for mitigating that risk?"
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote