View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #28
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fair point if you're comparing to a built FA20 long block. I've decided to get a spare DD to relieve any time pressure, so now that my BRZ is a project car, I need to decide what my ultimate goals are relative to how much I'm willing to spend.

As far as a K-swap is concerned, I guess the other major investment I'm personally concerned about in going to a different platform is the time will take for me to educate myself to the point where I would feel relatively comfortable with potential issues, design, engineering of a different platform. Aside from familiarizing myself with the K24 platform, I would need to ensure I'm comfortable with all the steps in the 86 K-swap instruction manual or that I'm willing to take the time to learn some stuff so that I'm hopefully doing it right. $10k for the KPower 86 swap kit, plus another $2k to $3k (that seems to be reasonable for what I've found online) for a decent K24A2 is a lot of money and, while I am mechanically inclined and I'm willing to go in with an optimistic attitude, the reality is I've never torn down/built an automobile engine and it's not clear whether the the K24 a good platform to learn on? So it's a bit of leap and, while I appreciate how much of a help a sizeable community with lots of helpful knowledge and support can get you in a project like this, it's daunting to think I could be, say, $13k+ into the project and run into a problem that I have take to a professional to be sure I'm not going to screw it up. Then the question becomes how much more money am I willing to spend since I'm already committed.

Anyway, just thinking out loud to help process the decision.

Last edited by vfrqqq; 07-15-2022 at 02:23 PM.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote