Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your vision lacks scope.

The supra ultimately ended up with more cooling than needed, so the bumper openings were blocked to increase fuel economy numbers. It's not "overcooled" at all. That's what thermostats are for.

Put a thermocouple behind an oil cooler, and look at the air temp post-cooler. Also put thermocouples in an intercooler inlet and outlet, and observe the temperatures. The evidence is universally damning.

Some people also don't have cooling issues with the Hellcat. Have you ever seen the heat exchanger on a hellcat?

It all comes down to what you do with the car. If you street drive and occasionally do a 10 second pull, you won't overheat, but an oil cooler in front of an intercooler will ALWAYS hurt power. It's just physics.
I don’t know if there are situations beyond oil coolers in cool weather where overcooling might be an issue, especially at the factory level; it seems more possible on aftermarket cars where cooling systems are setup for worse case cooling needs and not for all environmental needs. I probably missinterpreted unnecessary cooling as avoiding overcooling; I concede that those are definitely different things.

Considering radiators and intercoolers are often much taller than the bumper openings, and they are thus blocked from any significant air flow, it seems like stacking a cooler might not be a big deal, especially when size often can trump being behind dirty air, as might be the case for SMIC versus FMIC, or where there is a compromise between air flow and ducting to brakes versus an oil cooler or SMIC.

I think there is still a case for determining what are the OP’s needs, if not for avoiding overcooling because that isn’t a thing, then more for not doing anything that is overkill like purchasing things that aren’t necessary or putting work into designing/fabricating a solution for a problem that may not exist.