View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #54
jrb363

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Maybe local to the "Sun" where you are but the majority are not modded out turds. Good clean examples are the probably the majority but the owners don't hang out on forums so the perception is skewed.

Doesn't matter because the cars will still not be worth shit even when time passes. They just don't have the same mystic or rep that the Supra or others that have gone up in value to stupid levels do.
You can buy a 73 240Z now for around $30K. This sounds cool until you consider that to get that kind of money you can't drive the car and still have to store it and pay for upkeep for decades. In the end you would have lost a shitload on it.
So buy an 86. Immediately park it in a climate controlled location (removing this location for other uses and still paying for it). Don't ever, ever put miles on it. Change the oil at regular intervals. Put new tires on it once a decade or so. Run it long enough (without moving it) to burn off all moisture in the system about once a month. Do this for 40 years and then sell it for $50K. Oh wait... that is $50K after 40 years of inflation so numerically it gained value but in reality you probably made under $40K in 2019 dollars. Probably put $10K into it over those years. So now you are lucky to break even.
All you can do is hope that it is featured in a block buster movie and video games at some point before you have stored it too long so that a bunch of guys that have never driven one all of a sudden lust after them.
Agreed on all counts. I buy cars to enjoy them, not hope they appreciate in value a few decades from now. Hell, I doubt the government will even let us put gas powered cars on the road by then.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jrb363 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrb363 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-04-2019)