View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #25
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I meant a la carte and I believe that even elsewhere they are still making set models, just more trim levels than we get. They aren't a la carte options AFAIK (I could be wrong since I live in the US and haven't spent all that much time looking up the other stuff). They should be willing to offer a lot of those items as options but so far it doesn't seem like they are willing to.

I thought there were some safety items missing like TCS/VSC on the cheapest JDM models but I can't remember anymore. It's pointless anyways.

I'm not sure the testing on two sets of headlights made sense to them on a limited (compared to mainstream cars) production car. IMO it doesn't make sense. Most of the rest doesn't require testing.

Toyota is trying to save Scion with this car. It's a mistake IMO, they should have let Scion die and change the badges on the other scions to Toyota badged and be done with it. :shrug:

I agree with your points in general. Either way I got my ft86 the way I wanted it, it just has a Subaru badge on it
Not sure about the limited production car, pretty sure this is to be a mass produced car with exception to the "limited" versions but they haven't limited the number of units as far as I know, perhaps limited the time of availability, but not numbers. Considering the amount of people wanting the LED HIDs, for example, though, seems like they made a big mistake there(well, they've made many mistakes, with a lot of things.)

Agreed... Scion should have been left to die or started up a project of their own to keep it afloat and not steal Toyota's. The point of the 86 was to revitalize Toyota, not Scion. Now Toyota has nothing to revitalize it and after waiting 7 years for a Toyota sports car, having the president and CEO of TMC, Akio Toyoda-san, himself give his word a Toyota sports car would be built and sold only to have that promise taken back? They might as well have hit this Toyota fan in the face with an aluminum bat. Repeatedly.

I'm glad you got what you wanted, but some of us are still waiting for what we want and were promised. In some cases, a conversion will do, hence me coming up with this list. I didn't want to leave anything out so I found every little detail I could find and put it in the list. Something insignificant to one person can make all the difference to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
A few points..

1: The comment about letting everyone like what they like. Absolutely agree. As I looked through the list of GT86 options or standard features vs the FRS I just saw a bunch of stuff that is automotive minutia and not something that I miss save for a few items. I'm not saying you shouldn't care about having doorway entry lights, I'm saying that of all the things on the 86 that are excluded on the FRS are pretty nominal, can easily be had and I'm glad that some of them didn't make on the FRS (like that gawd awful multi color interior). If the 86 was selling at the same price in JDM-land or Canada and was coming with bitchin' stuff the FRS didn't (like a sunroof, an armrest or 30 more Horsepower) then I'd be pissed.

2: And Damn Toyota for starting the whole Altezza light nonsense! Damn them!

3: Let's talk about the business model. The business model didn't even want this car to be made! While I agree that there should be more options available to raise the cost of the vehicle during the time of initial purpose it could be that the logistics of getting those pieces in inventory, and inventory systems creates a pretty good delay. I would have liked to order my FRS with the TRD exhaust, different wheels and the TRD spoiler installed. I also don't have intimate knowledge of the financials and how it all works out. There's a significant CBA involved.

4: I like dealer options, I hope they find a solutions to this gaping hole. The reason: modding a car with factory options does little to reduce resale value, modding a car with aftermarket options drastically reduces the resale value. I am looking forward to LOTS of owners modding their cars with all kinds of aftermarket nonsense because in 5 years I plan on buying one cheap, gutting it, caging it and adding another race car to the stable.

edit: just realized I can get the available TRD stuff at the dealership. Oh dear... time to spend some more $$

1. See, I like that coloured interior, I also like the LED HIDs, push start, the exhaust tips, dual climate controls, leather/alcantara and seat heaters (it gets cold up here in Canada, our butts like warmth!), the knee pads, and the Toyota brand. The thing that pisses me off is not giving the choice when it's offered somewhere else already. The choice to have or not have should be there, especially when it already exists elsewhere.

2. lol

3. That would be because it was supposed to be a Toyota from the start and not built with Scion in mind. Hence it not fitting the business model and not belonging in Scion's pen, at all.

As for the logistics, they already exist. They have to for the other markets around the world selling the Toyota version. It's all done at the same plant, it's all in place, the template is there. The hard part is done already, there is no excuse for excluding a single market area.

4. I hope they get their act together as well and good luck with that venture.