Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #30
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Millionaire FR-S owner with a heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I fall into the realist camp. I give a percentage of my income every year, but only to local charities that I have intimate knowledge of, as there are charities and then there are charities.

I learned this the hard way with United Way. Back in my earlier years I gave each year to it through work. Then, one day I looked at their list of charities. I decided there were specific charities they supported that did not match my willingness to give.

So I called them and asked if I could give directed giving. Their response was of course, I could direct my money to any single or multiple charities in their organization.

I then asked, OK so that means that Charity gets more money correct? If I give $100 to Charity A, then it would get $100 more than would normally be allocated to them and Charity B would have its money reduced by my (insignificant as a percentage) amount.

Their answer was "no". Both charities still get the same distribution its just that "my" money would only go to Charity A.

I said, thanks but no thanks and have given my money directly to the actual charities ever since, but only after vetting them.

FROM THE ARTICLE:

“Karan said that after his diagnosis, Naiman spent a lot of time researching charities.
One group that's benefited from his kindness is the Pediatric Interim Care Center, which cares for medically fragile babies suffering from prenatal drug exposure.
The group posted a tribute to Naiman on its website and said he donated enough money to pay off the mortgage on its building. He told the group in a letter that the center had been there for him when he needed to find a place for sick babies that were brought to him.

Again, what does this situation have to do with United Way being assholes? My employer stopped giving to United Way when it came to light how little made it to those in need. It literally has nothing to do with the guy in question and those shitting on him for giving to charity. The charities which he donated to are listed in the article and none mentioned above that were involved in scandals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quentin For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-03-2019), stevesnj (01-02-2019)