Old 02-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #26
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Got my recall done this morning, filled up the car to full and fulel gauge only shows around half.

Called the dealer, they said try to disconnect the battery to reset the gauge and come over if that doesn't help. Disconnected and reconnected, gauge still shows low but appears to be slightly higher then before. Fingers crossed it will resolve itself over time/with the next fill up (I can gauge the amount of fuel by miles driven since the last fill up).

Did they replace the entire pump assembly again to fix the fuel gauge? My dealer said the float might snag on a rubber seal, but judging by this video (around 2:35 mark) it doesn't look like the float could have such an issue.

If it's just a matter of making sure the float is moving freely I'd prefer to take the fuel pump out myself and wiggle the float around to check for any obstructions.

That is exactly what mine did too, except when I "Filled Up" it was showing a little less than 3/4 of a tank. Then it gets tricky, it would go to 1/4, then go back to half, but it wasn't accurate either as I managed to run out of fuel with the gauge indicating 1/4 again.

They had to replace the whole assembly to fix it since whatever part they replaced, and broke, once is broken there's no going back.

They'll probably ask you to bring it in again with less than half tank, again, so you'll have to guess-timate when you reach that level of fuel.
Busybee (02-22-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (02-22-2022)