Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
I honestly think a per mile road tax is a far better idea than the gas tax given the number of electric and hybrid vehicles that get off free. I would only support it given the following criteria...

1. Charges based on vehicle weight, no reason I should have to pay the same amount for my FR-S as someone who daily drives a fucking F-350. Road wear is directly proportional to vehicle weight.

2. No GPS tracking. Ever. It's a small step from "we're only interested in the number of miles driven on public roads" to speeding tickets in the mail. I'm not even going to touch the subject of privacy concerns.

3. Money from the tax MUST go to road upkeep. Far too often the revenue from the gas tax goes to fund things totally unrelated to transportation.
i think 1 should be implemented in the cost of tabs, however i do not agree with a mileage tax for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, how do they know how much to charge you without having a GPS tracking device in the car (which i'm not down with, i had to do that for cheaper insurance rates and it kinda sucked), do you pay for the amount of miles you drove last year? Who's going to check to make sure you aren't lying about how much you've driven?

Second, replacing the gas tax with this would mean that the state would no longer collect money on out of state drivers who fuel up here and thus reduce the potential for revenue.
Yamaha_R6 (12-10-2014)