View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
TRev

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TRev's BRZ RTR Autocross Build

This will be a journal of my experiences. It will contain a number of details most would probably not readily share relating to car setup. I will gladly try to answer any questions.

2013 Sponsors:
Defyant Motorsports | BF Goodrich

Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows
Alignment - Left Front Camber: -1.1 | Right Front Camber: -1.5 | Front Total Toe (out): -0.10 | Caster: 5.5 | Left Rear Camber: -0.6 | Right Rear Camber: -1.7 | Rear total toe (in): 0.21
Ferodo DS2500 F/R brake pads
VMS Racing lug nuts
Works Exhale ABM cat back w/mid pipe
Works air filter
Enkei Racing RPF1 17x7 42mm offset with BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17
Kosei K1 TS 17x7 50mm offset with BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17
Whiteline 20mm Front sway bar w/adjustable end links

2013 Planned Events:
Lincoln Spring Nationals
Peru Match Tour
Milwaukee Match Tour
Northern States Championship
National Championship
Milwaukee Regional Events
Land O' Lakes Regional Events

4/7/2013 - Iowa Region SCCA @ Hawkeye Tech, Waterloo IA
Mods:
Whiteline 20mm Front sway bar w/adjustable end links - Soft setting w/end links @ shortest length possible
Kosei K1 TS 17x7 50mm offset
235/40-17 Dunlop Z1 - F 39psi R 35 psi | Tread depth F 3/32 R 4/32
Factory alignment with 1/4 tank of gas

Results:
1st place in class (17 entries) - Link to Class Results
1st place overall on index by .280 seconds (68 entries) - Link to PAX Results

Comments:
Very slight push mid corner. The Hawkeye Tech site is an almost new concrete surface that is not quite as abrasive as Lincoln. Great club with very friendly and helpful members. My best run had a minor mistake that cost me a couple of tenths. Sunny with temperatures mid 40's first runs and high 50's second runs. First road trip with the car. Fair amount of hills with some decent sized ones. At 60 MPH average car reported 36.5 MPG average on way down and 38.8 MPG on way back.

4/14/2013 - Milwaukee Region SCCA @ Miller Park, Milwaukee WI
Mods:
Whiteline 20mm Front sway bar w/adjustable end links - Soft setting w/end links @ shortest length possible
Kosei K1 TS 17x7 50mm offset
235/40-17 Dunlop Z1 - F 38psi R 34 psi | Tread depth F 4/32 R 3/32
Camber bolts - Front @ max negative camber and 1/32 toe in. Rear at factory alignment
Full tank of gas

Results:
1st place in class (28 entries) - Link to Class Results
6th place overall on index (98 entries) - Link to PAX Results

Comments:
Woke up to snow covering the ground and the car. Ran heats 1 and 3. First runs it was sprinkling with a temp of 37 degrees. The precipitation quit early in the second run group. Temps in the mid 40's for the third run group. Things were still drying out in the third run group which meant everything came down to third runs. Lance (RTR 2012 National Champ) was in his FRS and I lagged behind him through the first five runs. In addition all my runs were dirty. The car was pushy mid corner and I was getting late often. I was able to clean up the last run and edge out Lance by .026 seconds on index. I still made a number of mistakes. The course was tricky since many areas had large differences in available grip due to the course still drying. Lance's car was prepped with camber bolts, alignment, and PRF1's with Z2's in a 235/40 size. I was sitting in 1st on index until the fourth heat cars ran. Pro class was in that group and the course continued to dry out for them. I got bumped back to sixth overall on index. At a 70 MPH average, the car reported 37.2 MPG on the way there and 37.9 MPG on the way back.

4/28/2013 - WAI @ Miller Park, Milwaukee WI
Mods:
Enkei Racing RPF1 17x7 42mm offset
BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17 - F 38psi R 34 psi | Tread depth F 7/32 R 7/32
Works air filter
Camber bolts - Front @ max negative camber and 1/32 toe in. Rear at factory alignment
Gas light just came on as I was pulling into the track.

Results:
2nd place (33 entrants) - http://www.waiautox.org/2013/event1_fin.htm
8th on PAX (120 entrants) - http://www.waiautox.org/2013/event1_pax.htm

Comments:
Ran heats 1 and 3. First runs it was cloudy with temps in the upper 40's. Sunny with temps in the mid 50's for the third run group. I decided to run the Rivals (stickers) this weekend to get them scrubbed in prior to the first National event. I tried pressures in the front from 39-36 and like 38 the best. I tried the rears between 36-32 and settled on 34. The car was never too pushy and almost perfect with the final pressures just a slight bit too much over steer though with more heat in the rear tires, I think it would have been about perfect. Lance (RTR 2012 National Champ) was there in his FRS on Z2's and we were very close again throughout the day. He ended up edging me out by .118 on index. I was .012 back raw on my dirty run. First time I have data logged. The car reported a max lateral G of 1.4. The tires definitely need more heat than the Dunlops and I would say are a bit more numb. At a 70 MPH average, the car reported 34.6 MPG on the way there and 35.3 MPG on the way back. Generally speaking, the Rivals seem to be getting about 2 MPG less on the highway than the Z1's.

5/12/2013 - SCCA @ Miller Park, Milwaukee WI
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows - Front 1 3/4 turns from soft | Rear full soft
Alignment - Left Front Camber: -1.2 | Right Front Camber: -1.4 | Front Total Toe (out): -0.06 | Caster: 5.5 | Left Rear Camber: -0.6 | Right Rear Camber: -1.2 | Rear total toe (in): 0.08
Ferodo DS2500 F/R brake pads
Works air filter
Whiteline 20mm Front sway bar w/adjustable end links - soft setting with endlinks as short as possible
BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17 - F 32 psi R 32 psi | Tread depth F 7/32 R 7/32
Gas 1/3 full

Results:
2nd place (40 entrants) - Link to Class Results
10th on PAX (142 entrants) - Link to Pax Results

Comments:
Ran heats 2 and 4. First runs it was partly sunny with temps in the low 40's. Second runs were partly sunny with temps in the upper 40's. Windy all day with sustained winds of about 10 MPH and gusts of 25 MPH. The car was overly loose in the rear until I upped the front rebound to 1 3/4 turns from soft and rear at full soft. This is the sweet spot so far for me. Fast and the car is tossable with predictable oversteer. I was .059 back from 1st on PAX in RTR class. Jeff Slater did a great job driving his MSR MX5 today. The difference in cold tires and tires with moderate heat in them is .2-.3 G according to my logs. At a 74 MPH average, the car reported 34 MPG.

5/19/2013 - SCCA-LOL @ Winona, MN
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows - Front 1/2 turns from soft | Rear full soft
BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17 - F 32 psi R 32 psi | Tread depth F 7/32 R 7/32
Gas 1/4 full

Results: Link to Results
1st place (5 entrants)
1st on PAX (22 entrants)
2nd FTD (-.209)
Comments:
Warm and humid today. Mostly sunny with temps in the low 80's. We had 3 runs and then 5 runs. I then ran two exhibition runs for passengers right after my fifth run. The tires were HOT and never seemed to get greasy or fall off. The car pushed on corner entry/exit and I ended up backing off the rebound to just 1/2 a turn up front from full soft.

5/26-27/2013 – Spring Nationals – Lincoln, NE
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows –
Day 1 (Dry) – Front 1 3/4 turns from soft | Rear 1 turn from full soft
Day 2 (Wet) – Front full soft | Rear full soft
BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17 - F 32 psi R 32 psi | Tread depth F 5/32 R 5/32
Gas – Low fuel light just turned on

Results:
3rd place (19 entrants)
Comments:
I ran the EVO Advantage and had about 30 runs. Ended up with front rebound at 1 ¾ turns from full soft and 1 ¼ turns from full soft in the rear. I literally hot lapped the car for about an hour and the Rival never got greasy or fell off on time. They like heat! Day 1 had temps around 70. We ran first heat. My first two runs were clean and within a couple hundredths of each other. I dialed down the rebound in the back to 1 turn from full soft as the car was a bit loose. That helped and I picked up .5 seconds. Also noticeable was the amount of heat the tires had in them. I was using MLS tire blankets and they worked great. BIG thanks to Dale and Mary Bahr. They took care of the blankets and tire pressures and made my job solely focusing on driving. The last run put me in first by .2 seconds over Lance in his FRS. The second day it was POURING and lightning. The race was delayed for a bit over a ½ hour. The rain started to subside right when we started first runs but there was standing water on the majority of the course. I dialed the rebound to full soft but the Rivals just did not like the wet IMO. DNF’d my first run due to hydroplaning so bad in the slalom that I missed a gate. Second run I focused on getting a clean run in and third I pushed it as much as I could but the grip just wasn't there. I fell back to third overall in class. Averaged 30.5 MPG round trip @ 78MPH average.

5/26-27/2013 – Peru Match Tour – Grissom AFB, IN
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows – Front 1 1/4 turns from soft | Rear 1 1/4 turns from full soft
BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17 - F 32 psi R 32 psi | Tread depth F 4/32 R 4/32
Gas – 1/8th of a tank

Results:
1st place (11 entrants)
Comments:
Friday morning, I stopped up to Tire Rack and picked up a set of Continental tires to put on my extra rims. They shipped back my rivals for me. Very good customers service! Now that I have more rear toe in, the rebound needs to be more even front to rear and even seems to favor a bit more in the rear or the car pushes on corner exit. Averaged 32.7 MPG at an average speed of 74 MPH.

6/16/2013 - SCCA @ Miller Park, Milwaukee WI
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows – Front 1 1/2 turns from soft | Rear 1 3/4 turns from full soft
BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17 - F 32 psi R 32 psi | Tread depth F 4/32 R 4/32
Gas – 1/8th of a tank

Results:
3rd place (45 entrants)

Comments:
Plan to lengthen end links to take out some of the push after the additional rear toe-in.

6/23/2013 - SCCA @ Winona, MN
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows – Front 1 1/2 turns from full soft | Rear 1 1/2 turns from full soft | I also tried full soft front and rear
BF Goodrich Rival 225/45-17 - F 32 psi R 32 psi | Tread depth F 3/32 R 4/32
Gas – low fuel light on

Results:
1st Place in class and overall on PAX
FTD overall

Comments:
Lengthened front sway bar end links which helped remove some of the push after the additional rear toe-in. End links are now about 1" longer. I also tried the car both at 1 1/2 turns from soft front and rear as well as full soft front and rear. Our first heat of three runs was dry. Our second heat of three was wet although no standing water. The last heat was three fun runs and drying conditions. My very last run and second to last runs were mostly dry but still had some damp spots. The car was as fast on full soft rebound with the track still damp in spots as it was at 1 1/2 turns from full soft in the dry during the first heat. The track is asphalt (non-sealed) and smooth. I did have a bit more seat time as it was my 8th and 9th runs of the day. The car also felt more planted in the slaloms. We had a 70' slalom and I was hard on the rev limiter in second gear.

6/29/2013 - SCCA @ Milwaukee, WI
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows – Front 1/2 turn from full soft | Rear full soft
Dunlop Z2 235/40-17 - F 38 psi R 35 psi | Tread depth F 3/32 R 3/32
Gas – low fuel light on

Results:
2nd Place in class (.165 behind first)

Comments:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=143
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=145

6/30/2013 - SCCA @ Milwaukee, WI
Mods:
Current Mod List:
Koni single adjustable Yellows – Front 1 turn from full soft | Rear full soft
Dunlop Z2 235/40-17 - F 38 psi R 32 psi | Tread depth F 3/32 R 3/32
Gas – low fuel light on

Results:
1st in class (.243 ahead)

Comments:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=146

Last edited by TRev; 06-30-2013 at 10:22 PM.
TRev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TRev For This Useful Post:
Brzzee (05-21-2013), racecaresuaceb (04-08-2014), rx3 (06-20-2013), Scooby South (04-29-2013), SVThis (04-08-2013), torqdork (04-30-2013), Wepeel (05-14-2013)