Old 03-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #34
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMonk View Post
Dang, and here I’m looking at my BRZ saying “this is nice, but what next?” And that answer to me has been “cayman”. Specifically waiting I think nice 987.2s come down to ~23-25.
23-25 will get you a nice *non-S* 987.2 Cayman. The good news is with the 987.2 you get the good brakes and 6-speed trans like the S, you just miss out on displacement and power.

Quote:
I love the driving feel of the twins, but I’d like some more power and to spend maybe a little less time unsh*tboxing the interior.
Honestly, the BRZ Limited interior never bothered me, I have more quibbles about the 987's ergos. Specifically the switchgear seems designed to be awkward. Window switches are weirdly oriented and pivot points such that your finger has next to no mechanical advantage. BRZ switchgear has better feel and generally better-located and more intuitive and to use.

The shift knob is a low point for the 987. It looks and feels cheap, the leather looks and feels like plastic, and the metal (if it is metal?) part also looks and feels like plastic. It just feels bleh... I hated it from day one and replaced mine with a Black Forest Labs perforated leather/aluminum one which I loved.

987 steering wheel is, to me, way too big in diameter, and it doesn't really look that great either. There was a better-looking smaller-diameter one but it's rare to see in a Cayman and way overpriced if you want to retrofit. 987 wheel doesn't adjust far down or aft enough for me either, whereas I can put the BRZ wheel right where I want it.

Cayman sport seats *are* better and more comfortable, and have infinite recline positionability (electric) and very fine mechanical fore/aft adjustability. I like the BRZ seats a lot, but Porsche sport seats are about as good as it gets for street/track compromise and comfort.

Regarding supercharging a BRZ, that will exacerbate a big shortcoming it has vs. Cayman. 55/45 weight distribution is not going to be able to put power down anything like as well as 45F/55R....
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote