serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Yea the casing is thick probably because your watch has a display back? This is the reason why I would never trade my old SBGR001 for any of the new fancy GS watches as solid backs tend to make the watch thinner and more comfy to wear.

The leather bands always have that soft suede on the back even the very nice ones, but they don't last if you have sweaty wrists.

But yea don't expect too much these days for $400 bucks, but you are still getting a lot of watch from Seiko. I remember over a decade and a half ago a Quartz Tuna was $300 bucks, now they are like over $1000 and the clasp doesn't even have "Japan" stamped on it anymore.
Yea it has a display back, but the display back thickness is ridiculous...but a big source of thickness of the watch is the crystal, which bulges more than 1mm out of the bezel. I have a feeling it's going to attract lots of scratches.

The suede is not really the issue, it's that the clasp's pin doesn't go all the way through the watch and tears the outer leather part.

I guess I'm just used to my Seagulls, which are honestly really damn good quality for the money. They use sapphire on the display back on anything over 200 dollars, the bands are sturdy and functional metal or leather, and the movement finishing is really pretty. Their shortcoming is that there are some tiny visible blemishes; in very bright light I can make out a scratch on one of the hour markers on my M201S, there's a tiny smudge on one of the gears in my 819.351 and a tiny speck of dust under the crystal that you have to look pretty hard to find.

That said, the Seiko isn't flawless either. The 12, 6, 9 o'clock markers aren't cut perfectly symmetrically if you look closely.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-16-2016 at 04:51 PM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote