Old 08-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #27
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Another factor is the pandemic-related supply chain disruptions affecting all cars. Supplies of all cars are dramatically reduced compared to typical levels. Most dealers have almost no new cars to sell (my local Subaru dealer has exactly zero new Subarus on their lot; it's all used cars). The Kia dealer where I bought a Stinger typically has 100-150 new cars, right now they have a total of 5. I can't imagine this won't also impact both the Z and BRZ/86. If supplies of those cars are limited, combined with the money burning a hole in people's pockets buying frenzy out there, rapacious dealer mark-ups may be likely for some time.

Just look at the crazy ADM's dealers are getting for the few more pedestrian cars available. Now imagine what it might be for a sought after new car like the Z (or BRZ/86).

I'm very much looking forward to driving both cars. But I think any possible buying will wait until the next model year, when production lines hopefully are cranking out more cars and the initial frenzy has cooled down.
I wouldn't be surprised if supply chain setbacks lead to price increases, but maybe not. Has that happened? Also, this is a 2023 model, slated to come out sometime in 2022. The GR86 will be in late 2021 to early 2022, so I would expect the Z to be mid to late 2022 to early 2023, which means there is more time to get the car ready for production. Definitely worth waiting until the frenzy and dealer markups cool down.