Old 04-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #126
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
I use to argue with a coworker about this all the time. I find that driving manual makes you pay way more attention to driving than driving automatic.

When driving MT,you are more likely to be more engaged in driving do to the fact that all four limbs are active in the action of operating the vehicle. When driving AT,you have a free foot and hand. People usually end up eating,messing with the radio,putting on makeup,texting,ect.,which in turn leads to more opportunity to be less attentive because you are "riding" around more than actually "driving". That's my take,at least.
Those are some mighty big assumptions you got there...

I don't for a second believe that if someone goes from manual to auto that they're suddenly going to become less attentive drivers and be texting, applying makeup, eating, whatever all the time while driving. Also, I *never* feel like I'm just "riding around" while I am driving a car with an automatic transmission. At all. I'm driving. Same as with a manual except I can keep both hands on the wheel at all times.

If not having to think about or physically perform shifts gives you back say 2% of your total attention capacity and steering control, avaraged over time, it's b.s. to argue that means people will divert that 2% plus 10% more to other non driving-related stuff.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-16-2021), Tcoat (04-16-2021)