View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #233
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got an email notification of a new post from @nikitopo but noticed the post had vanished while I typed a response. I'll address some things without directly quoting what was said.
-------------------------

Tada-san being buddies with Moto is probably FI-averse. My job puts me under more scrutiny than others to obey the law so NA tune wasn't an option for me. The CA-legal Edelbrock was a godsend. Again, I envy those who have it as a legal option and applaud those who stick to that mantra and creatively cut weight like the Griffon 86.

I notice Toyota also modifies for the sake of modifying (tack-on air stabilizer fins, Griffon 86 parts, TRD supercharger and GRMN 86 intake runners shaped like Edelbrock's) this car moreso than the ZZT Celica, JZA Supra, and SW and ZZW MR2s (dad had the Supra, I've had the rest).

Those GRMN intake runners add weight in the same area as Edelbrock. Edelbrock adds weight in other areas as well but omits 30 lbs of stock parts for a net 60 added lbs. I cut 5-7 lbs. per corner with TWS Forged wheels, Brembo BBK is lighter than stock, and deleted my spare tire. Almost a wash. I've swapped with friends' stock or lightly modified NA 86es. They had no complaints on balance. Their CoG (or should I say roll centers) felt higher than mine probably because my TRD springs brings it further down than the Edelbrock raises it. I don't think the change in dynamics is as dramatic as some make it out to be. Net effect is positive and doesn't ruin the car. Significant changes in dynamics happen when people change tires, suspension, or add 60 lbs of OEM bracing/chassis stiffening.

Edelbrock under-reported their gains. Owners and the PowerNation TV FR-S are seeing more torque (I forget the figure) and ~270whp. Like others, I've complained about the parasitic loss. But that may be more to do with not fixing the dead pedal on ECU reset (dealt with same problem when I had a TRD intake). I say this because very recently I inadvertently fixed this by disconnecting my battery to make space to install my FA20DIT PCV Valve. Unless changing that valve suddenly boosted response, either way, my gripe about parasitic loss is absolved. Throttle feels like an on/off switch now. Couple that with the extremely narrow friction zone of my TRD clutch, my mind is more focused on not spinning the tires than parasitic loss. I don't mean for this to become an Edelbrock discussion so I'll defer discussion to those threads where these items have been covered.

Pics of various intake runners for interest of comparison. Blue coupled one is SARD which I consider to be on the level of Tom's as a manufacturer.
Attached Images

Last edited by switchlanez; 01-09-2018 at 01:29 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote