Old 06-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
If you just want faster lap times go with the Camaro. If your desire is to become a better driver go with the 86.

With the Camaro you will be far more likely to develop bad habits driven by that fact that you can cover up your errors with power. On the other hand the 86 will help expose your errors and weaknesses so that you can work on them.

As for daily drivability, the Camaro is a nightmare to see out of but it is also a larger, has a useable backseat and is arguably a more comfortable car. The 86 is smaller, but still with very usable space (other than the backseat) and is something that you can rev out on even a grocery store run without getting into too much trouble.
Test drove one on the weekend since my son-in-law is shopping for them.
The 2022 rear seat is just as bad (or possibly worse when you consider head room) as the twins and the rear seat may be a deal breaker.

Although the car is certainly larger the drivers position is much more cramped due to the massive interior door panels that stick into the cabin and the huge console up the center. Any front passenger over about 5'7" WILL hit their knees on the stupid protruding glove box! The 86/BRZ has much more usable space for the front seat passengers even though a smaller car. They really have upped their game on interior quality though.

They lowered the waistline a little so you don't feel quite so much like you are in a bathtub but... Those door panels push you so far into the car that shoulder checks are awkward to the point of almost impossible. You want to see behind you or where the front of the car actually is? Ya good luck with that! @Frost you were not exaggerating in any form.

Cost of fuel, tire, brakes, etc aside I would not be interested in daily driving a Camaro in any form. They are better than the last gen (I shopped them in 2014) but still a total pain.

I hate to say it but if shopping for a Pony car for DD and track the upper level Mustang is a far superior choice. And I can not stand Mustangs so that is saying something.
brandonblt2 (06-03-2022), Dadhawk (06-09-2022), Spuds (08-16-2022)