View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #86
prandelia

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
bro. When you race in a series that is governed by hp/wt ratio, torque becomes a real factor. It's not just about how much hp you have, it's also about using the torque you have on the few, slower corners that lead onto a straight to help give you valuable track position, so that once you are at speed in the 5000-8000 range your HP can really go to work for you. There are plenty of peaky power curves that got ditched last year for torque this year. So pretty dynos are great until you get on track and see what the car really does.

I don't expect anybody to understand that isn't racing in a highly competitive field where literally every little bit counts. I'm literally racing against detuned cars with the same peak power (or hp/wt ratio), but their dyno curve is flat from 5500-8500 all the way across with their peak HP. Or other cars with 180-200ft/lbs from 3000 RPM, so yeah, torque matters. My flat, relatively high torque curve (for a 2.0L) is a huge contributing factor to me being competitive. That's one thing this motor actually does right.

That comment you cherry picked was specifically regarding the stupid carbon/aluminum driveshafts that are not applicable for race cars (which every racer knows) because the RPM's are too high and the car will vibrate itself to death. For stoplight heroes, or auto-x, it's fine, but not for anybody road racing that cares about their drivetrain.

Regardless, as with all my posts, it's just to provide the community with more information, so they too can make informed decisions. Forums, for me, are a resource, and honestly nothing more. I don't post so people can praise me, or bust my balls. I do it so others can see what I've done and the information is out there for somebody else.

I'll post up my further findings after the next dyno session. After that, I just need to put it on track and see how it really stacks up against my competitors because that's the real test.

prandelia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to prandelia For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (03-01-2021), cjd (03-03-2021), Icecreamtruk (03-15-2021), Kiske (02-27-2021), NoHaveMSG (02-27-2021), RedReplicant (11-13-2021), RT-BRZ (02-26-2021), why? (02-27-2021)