Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Vehicle mileage: 84.5k mi
Vehicle make: Scion
Vehicle mileage after recall: ~200mi
Symptoms: intermittent failure to start, hiccup/hesitation at certain rpm range, stalling on interstate
Failure: not applicable (yet?)
State: Arkansas (Landers Toyota)
Dealer offering repair: unknown

I got it home and an hour later it would crank, fire, then immediately die. I quit after about 10 tries and resetting the ECU. About an hour later, I went to make a video to send to a friend (who works at the dealership) and it started right up.

The next morning I drove it 2.5mi into town. Car ran fine. On the way home, with the cruise set at 80 (3500rpm in 6th), it hiccuped/bogged/hesitated a couple of times, then started to almost non stop. I pulled into the breakdown lane and was coasting, cruise control disengaged and I tried to give it some gas since it was slowing and it didn't respond at all. As I was coasting down the next exit, the car died. I restarted it at the end of the ramp, it died. I eventually limped it into a parking lot and had my laptop with me, so I pulled the codes (CEL came on when the car stalled, but didn't at any time before). The code was P1235, High Pressure Fuel Pump Circuit. I limped it home.

The next day I took it out and was datalogging. Around 3500rpm it seemed to be hitting fuel cut (Fuel Inj #1 pulse width, injection time direct final, injection time port final, and PI injector duty all dropped to 0!!), independent of gear or engine load. The CEL had reset from the car running "ok" for a few startups. I made an appointment to take it back to the dealer.

Being that the tech broke the connector on the passenger side exhaust oil control valve/variable valve timing solenoid when my recall was being performed, and I had to wait an additional 4-5 weeks for them to get one in, I figured I would check some connections. Being that the car was intermittently having issues I was thinking it was a short. I disconnected and blew air on all of the connectors for the high pressure/direct injector control unit (small box with 4 connectors mounted to the passenger side engine bracket), looking for a bent pin or damaged wire. Then I checked the 3 mounting bolts, they were snug, but not tight. I tightened them. Sounds trivial, but the DICU (idk its proper abbreviated name) grounds to the bracket with the bolts. Then I reset the ECU (disconnect negative terminal from battery. Drain electricity with brakes/dome light etc), and reset the trouble codes (I did see a U0100 before I reset it which is a communication error).

I have driven the car for 2 days now (~100mi), numerous WOT pulls through multiple gears, cruise at 80mph just like before etc... and it has been running perfectly. I'm not sure I'm "in the clear" yet, but the car has been fine since I looked into it.