Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #71
Samwise_4k86
4k Garage

Drives: Rocket Bunny V2 Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
Ok, when you go with a CD009 it might be possible that you dont have to deform the tunnel. But I dont can realy say anything about that since Im using a T56.

The T56 is also very rare in Germany. Further it is known as a sloppy gearbox from what ive heard and the OEM ratios are not realy optimal. So I went with a brand new T56 Magnum F close ratio. Its much stronger then the production T56, has optimal rarios and shifts pretty good once the oil is warm. Concerning price I didnt feel that its too expensive. Including bellhousing, transportation and customs arround 4k Euro. With the current exchange rate it might be even less.

I've heard about the RHD question. But after I did a kit myself Im asking if this is a myth. The drivetrain is located in the exact same position for LHD and RHD. The difference on the car is firewall, dashboard and stearing column are mirrord and battery and power break are exchanged. I dont see any difference for the engine and trans bracket, they should be exactly same in order to maintain proper driveshaft angle. The complete drivetrain Position of the OEM drivetrain is identical between LHD and RHD vehicles from all what I know. There are also no multiple part # available for LHD and RHD Version of those components touching the drivetrain.

The only Real difference is, that you need headers which pass the steraing column on the left and not on the right side. Sure, also some brakets for clutch master and other stuff mounted to the firewall might change. But I dont know any kit which includes such stuff.

I might be wrong since I didnt do a LHD swap, but I would say that there isnt much of a difference talking about the engine and trans position.

Sure, if I was a company selling a kit, I also would say that its not suitable for LHD as long as I didnt test it. The difference is that Sikky has a full CAD Model with LHD and RHD components available what gives the possibility to check fitment for both in CAD. But again, the only Real difference is the steering column beeing on the left. So in the end it is only a question of the headers you use, not of the mount kit you are buying.

In my case I also might have to change the clutch master bracket, clutch reservoir bracket, the valve cover trim and possibly the AC line adapter. But not the base components of the kit. I would realy expect them to work also on LHD.

Concerning headers: LHD might even be a little easier when it comes to routing along the sterring column. Due to the driveshaft angle the whole powertrain is tilted a little to the left. This means you should have a few millimeters (realy only a few) more to go by the column. As well, you dont have column, brake lines and fuel lines on the same side. The only down side is, that the starter of the LS is located on the right. But you might anyway get space trouble if you use one of the big old style starters. The later versions are smaller and pretty compact.

Concerning pricing again: If you dont have a harness, buy a OEM one and modify to your needs. If you know how to solder two lines correctly its not that hard. I would look for a used Camaro engine harness and a E38. Sure, the E38 doesnt give the same freedom as a free programmable ECU, but it is surprisingly close. As long as you dont plan to freak out completely and go nitro or turbo it should be very adequat to suit the needs. As well, combined with AGT translator its by far the best bang for the bug if you ask me. Also, it is the best OEM style Integration. I have to say that this solution worked perfect and flawlessly for me.

Great post!

I'll keep my options open in regards to the ECU and wiring harness, i'm no mechanic personally, ironically i'm a computer nerd which is probably why i have zero interest in actually learning eletronics, etc. I can do very basic things but the idea of splicing apart a whole wiring harness just sounds like a nightmare to me and I don't really have an inclination to learn it as it sounds far too much like work, just one of those things i suppose!

In regards to headers i'd just end up keeping it easy and using Sikky's headers as well, as you say their kit is made with both RHD and LHD and i'm lead to believe they have various transmissions in mind from the T56, TR6060 and CD009 in mind so i'd like to just keep everything simple in that regard.

The CD009 is pretty strong, very common, much easier to buy clutches for and has nicer ratio's I believe unlike the T56 with its double overdrive but in the grand scheme of things by the time you buy a CD009 and the conversion kit i'd only have saved $500 or so over buying a T56 but that's a much easier pill to swallow for me than the £3-3.5k that a T56 costs, just in my case i'm 28, trying to get my first house so bit of a silly game to be playing but at the same time I'll definitely get it done even if it just takes a year or so to save alongside silly things like a mortgage
Samwise_4k86 is offline   Reply With Quote