View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Xerexyz

Drives: 2017 Toyota 860 in Supernova
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink 2017 86 Vs. 2019 Civic Si Coupe

My wife and I now have two somewhat impractical family cars. We used to have two really impractical cars (mazda rx7 and mx5). I can now give a somewhat decent impression of how these two cars stack up.

Our 17 86 is the "Special Edition", we bought it because we love wild paint jobs and this one had an orange paint that was even nicer (in our opinion) than our old Hot Lava. We have had it for a year and a half at the time of this post and it has been a great car, even nicer than our old Hot Lava FR-S. Mostly things that we enjoy are the changes to the final drive ratio and the suspension setup. The old FR-S seemed like it was geared more to hit 60 "faster" and the suspension was a bit too harsh. Sure there's still a torque dip, but we don't care, it's a fun engine to run out to its redline and it has all the power we enjoy in a manner that we enjoy driving it. The LSD is great and being RWD makes it a very predictable car in the winter for us, we even bought some winter tires to make it more fun.

In comparison, the new 19 Si Coupe we just bought about a month ago is a different type of animal, though fun in it's own right. We got it in the somewhat horrid Yellow Tonic Pearl, a color that I believe that is only liked by us. We love it, very easy to find... anywhere. The engine and the power delivery are totally different, being a turbo'ed 1.5, most of its power is setup around 3k and it kind of gives up right at 6k. Almost the opposite of a torque dip, kind of a torque hump. While not everyone enjoys FWD, it is much more enjoyable with a LSD. The car kind of grabs through turns instead of being pushed like the 86, once again being a kind of opposite to the 86. There is also a totally different type of balance here, no more 50:50 distribution, all of your weight is over the front wheels.

So for both having 205hp, being around the same curb weight, and both having polarizing looks (especially in bright colors). They are both very unique, fun, and engaging cars.

The Honda does get better gas mileage though... No idea how it pulls of 40+ mpg on the highway, but it does. But as someone who once drove around an rx7 as a daily... who cares about gas mileage??
Xerexyz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xerexyz For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (04-02-2019), Go Frogs (08-20-2019), Wally86 (07-20-2020)