Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #74
DocCola
Something funny

Drives: 2011 WRX hatch DGM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
I would like to point out that correlation does not imply causation.

This is a great thing to think about when discussing statistics or studies. I normally don't jump in gun threads because I want pro-gun people to have their free space, and anti-gun people to have their space as well. This thread has gone down hill considerably from the first post so I thought I would jump in and have my say.

My say is this:

Both sides have studies which directly imply that the other side is wrong. Those who haven't made up their minds can take that for what it is. To verify, I just spent the last 30 minutes reading some briefs of different peer reviewed studies and I could find an even amount saying CC lowers crime, and the same amount saying that CC had no effect. Arguably there were very few studies that said CC had increased crime at all.

Violent crime has been dropping drastically since 1990 and every day going forward violent crime is less likely than the day before. One statistic that is a hard fact is that the US is becoming safer.

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the links, charts, studies you could want on that topic are out there for you to read, and they definitively point to the US trending towards a safer society year after year. Any counter point to this is a very fringe argument. In almost ever circle this is no longer a debate.

My opinion is that many of the CC studies try to create a link between CC and the reduction in crime, and while this might be a very small effect it is by no means the overwhelming reason for the drop in crime. It is possibly one small factor along with other factors (prison rate increase, abortion rate increase, Clintons anti-crime bill in the early 90's, etc) but even at that the studies are split.

CC seems to cause no harm, but it likely doesn't help to much either. Are their anecdotal stories that can be told about that one time it saved your cousin's friends life? Sure. But no debate should ever come down to being won by anecdotal evidence.

As an ex-9mm owner (range gun I didn't shoot enough), a current Rem 700 owner, and a lover of all mechanical things I would note that I like guns and the power that they allow someone to wield. It's a rather -awesome- power. But I LOVE research, debate, and discussions more and sometimes it's frustrating to watch two sides try to bash their opinion over the heads of someone who has no intention of listening. Do some research, don't take the word of any poster, on any forum, ever, and come to your own conclusions.
While I can see where you're coming from and I even agree with a lot of what you're saying I myself don't carry a gun to have some effect on the national level, I do it to protect myself. I'm highly trained and extremely proficient. I don't want to end up a statistic on the other side of the gun argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzman View Post
Of course I expected that response. "You are an idiot" is usually the first
response from extremely intelligent gun toting Americans.

I know its a right. I can respect that. I like guns. I like vets. I like America.

If your story is true, then great. I am glad it helped. Keep it holstered on your person, not left in your car.

There is a lot of other things to do in life than be afraid of "Scum". Your gun will not save you from death, it will only prolong it (IF you are a quick draw and a good shot).

So carry on then.
I stand by my original statement, you are an idiot and you're clearly trying to stir the pot. It's fine by me. Maintain your narrow views. It won't stop me from doing what I do. For the record I am a quick draw and a damn good shot. Training my wife to be pretty damn good herself and guess what, when my daughter (who's 4 now) is big enough to hold a gun (.22 or something similar) and mature enough to understand what I'm teaching her about gun safety she will start shooting. Probably around 7 or 8. To accuse someone of being crazy because they want to carry a gun is close minded and asinine. I bet if you were in a store being robbed the first thing you would do is hope for a cop to show up, the second would be to hope someone like me was in the store to stop the bad guy.

And for the record I don't fear death. After multiple deployments and more close encounters with it there and elsewhere in life it's not something I worry about. What I fear is standing idly by as some scum takes out my family or myself. There's a big difference. You should learn it.

Lastly, I carry 24/7 except on base and into restricted areas like Federal buildings I lock it in my car in a glove compartment. If I was in the BRZ I would stick with the lock box.
woode (04-24-2014)