View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Ignition

The steering wheel cover can be easily removed by turning the steering wheel to the right to expose this screw:

Remove that screw, rotate the wheel to the left, and remove the screw on the other side. The bottom cover will unclip from the top. You can also remove the top portion, there is a leather hood which clips into the dash, remove those clips and the whole thing will come off.

Once that is done, the ignition harness needs to be unplugged from the car. Then the easygo harness plugs into ignition, and the vehicle ignition harness plugs into the other end of the easygo ignition harness. It’s fairly straightforward. What is not straight forward is how to plug the ignition harness to the portion which then plugs into the easygo control box. It follows this configuration:

Harness from easygo control box ------>>> Harness connected to ignition

Thin yellow ------>>>Thin yellow
thin red ------>>> thick red
thick blue ------>>> thin blue
thick red ------>>>thick blue
thick brown ------>>>thin red
thick brown ------>>> thick brown

When you are done it should look like this:

That's what worked for me, although there may be a better way. You must have the CAN high and low connected and the brake wire connected (see wiring section above) in order for it to start.
Immobilizer Bypass

The immobilizer bypass uses one of your original keys. I went with the valet key. Be sure one of your keys is placed in the box properly. The chip should be in the circle of wire thingy.

like this:

Screw the top back on tightly, the key should not move in there. Next, the immobilizer is this device sitting on the ignition (it is held on by clips on the top which can be gently pushed aside to remove):

The wire from the bypass that is in a ring, it must be taped around the edge of the immobilizer like so:

Wrap it tightly around, and tape it REALLY well. You do not want that thing ever slipping off, especially if you are stashing it elsewhere in the dash (which is what I did).

Be sure the immobilizer is connected to the original harness from your car. Plug the other end of the copper ring wire into the immobilizer bypass box (the blue plug). Then, plug the harness which runs from the immobilizer bypass box to the easygo module in correctly (see the wiring diagram). The immobilizer bypass box should be hidden in the dash somewhere. There are quite a few options, but the more difficult it is to get out without completely dismantling things the better. I am not going to say where I put mine, but I ended up actually needing to extend the wires which connect the immobilizer to the easygo control module.

Start button install: The start button itself is fairly simple, but does require removing the center console. This is actually fairly easy. I recommend following the very good instructions in this thread right up to the point before he pulls the controls for the HVAC: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8336
Install the start button, and run the wire to the easygo control box harness.

When you are done it should look like this:

As for the placement of the easygo control unit, I found the best place to install it was behind the metal bracket on the drivers side. I used a very long zip tie to keep it there:

There are various other things which need to be installed which I won't go into detail on, but are fairly easy. The antennas must be placed in the car headliner (not directly on metal though), and the wires should be run down the driver side A-pillar then under the dash to the box. Also, put the LED light somewhere if you wish, and the shock sensor. Use lots of zip ties to organize the wires and stash everthing out of sight tightly so that nothing rattles. Connect everything to the easygo control box, and if you have done everything right, step on the brake to activate, and push the car to start it. The last thing that you need to do is disable the steering wheel lock or you won't get far.

Last edited by Chaetagnath; 07-09-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
Bailey239 (06-20-2013), S84kam (08-12-2015), ts87 (06-18-2013)