View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The idea that the liquid and vapor side side aren't connected is a mistake, as they HAVE to be connected.

The valves that vent the fuel tank into the canister are at the top of the fuel tank and much lower than the fuel level when your's was overflowing out of the filler neck. These valves are designed to shut off once once liquid fuel reaches them, but nothing is ever perfect, they are only closed by little floaters and aren't meant to be submerged.

When filling a fuel tank, the majority of vapors that escapes to make room for liquid fuel escape through those vents, through the canister and vent valve, which is why many cars with vent valve failures are "hard to fill", very little escapes out the filler neck.

I'm not going to suggest you remove your canister to check, it's a PITA to get to, what's done is done, you'll know soon enough if you filled it up.

But I do wonder in what kind of 4th world gas station did you fill up that they had pumps so old they didn't have automatic shutoffs. Fuel nozzles are supposed to stop automatically even if you jam the trigger at full tilt, and that system has been ubiquitous for at least my lifetime.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote