View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #39
DIY

Drives: BRZ, WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys, a small update today.

All the tube to build the roll cage and rear suspension was delivered to my house this week.

The tube size for the cage is as per the rules, that is 1.75" for the main hoop and everything else is 1.5", all 2.6mm wall DOM.

My tube bender is about the least expensive you can buy especially here in Aus as we get stung hard when importing from the USA. Last night I used it for the first time and found it to work very well considering the price. The only real downside to this bender is the CLR of the dies, that is the radius of which the die bends the tube around is on the larger side. This means you will not be able to tuck things into corners as well as you could with a smaller die radius.

I ordered the bender with the two die sizes I needed to complete the roll cage.

I made 2 bends last night, both about 90 degrees, one for each tube size I am using. Before making the bends I have marked the position of the start of the die and then further marks along the tube every 20mm. So these two tube will be my reference bends that I can hold up inside the car when measuring everything, having the distance along the bend helps me quickly work out how long the tube needs to be.

Hopefully this weekend I can get started on the roll cage.
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (03-01-2021), BigFatFlip (07-09-2017), DustinS (07-07-2017), jubella2 (07-07-2017)