View Single Post
Old 02-04-2022, 07:18 PM   #25
Leviticus Ezra

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Who's telling you CV's snap like twigs? The joint fails but it is not super common. Even NA tracking the car regularly servicing the CV's is something you have to do as the factory grease is poor and the exhaust runs right under the left side boot at the diff and the heat is hard on that one in particular. Lowering the car also puts more strain on the CV's so there may be more factors going on with guys who have "snaped a cv like a twig" then just the power they are making. I always bring a spare to the track.

Jacks Transmissions has upgrades that are well detailed, but it is about the same price if not more expensive then doing a cd09. Who knows how long they will last under the power you plan on making.

Edit: I keep a spare trans on hand even NA because I track my car. The syncro's are flimsy and they can be had for 400-600.
Everything else I've read and seen says the CV's a more susceptiple to damage oppose to the transmission. I've seen they need grease and sometimes boot replacements. I didn't however consider lowering the car could add additional stress to them, which is most certainly good to know. I stumbled across Jacks Transmissions as they seem to have one of the better selections for transmission internals, but I'm on the teeter of messing with the trans internally. Eventually I plan on making 450+hp as reliably and effective as possible, but that would be on a built motor, then I'd do a CD09 swap. A spare even when NA? Makes me consider the same option to see if the stock one can handle what I'm trying to do for now. Then a spare to build to see if it's any worth and or can handle the added power any better? From my understnding a new/used stock trans is regularly cheap? I saw a couple syncro options, but would you recommend Jacks Trans oppose to anyone else?
Leviticus Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote