Old 12-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #27
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf18 View Post
I understand the 2.0 "can" be modded to fix these issues, but that's not my thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
If you want no mods on the car, 2nd gen Subaru BRZ (or Toyota GR86, for that matter) will not be "your" car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Or are you saying that this car will *require* mods, same as 1st-gen? I don't think either strictly *require* mods but for sure a few minor mods for minimal $$$ will pay off at the track.
Well, the 1st gen also didn't strictly *require* mods

Quote:
Oil coolers are heat exchangers. Most are air/oil heat exchangers, this one is coolant/oil.
True, I stand corrected!

Quote:
People that have installed the Forester unit on the current car report anywhere from 0F to 15F cooler oil temps at the track. So we'll see where the new car's oil temps wind up at the track, could be same or could be a bit lower than current car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
So although it isn't going to cool as much on track as an air to oil type cooler, it still cools.
I'm skeptical that something that's marginally efficient for a 2.0L engine will be enough for a 2.4L engine that generates ~15-20% more heat.

Quote:
I doubt you'll need an additional oil cooler on the new car any more than you need one on the current car (I don't run one)... For sure more front camber will be a good idea for track, just like with the current car.

It will be trackable with no mods, just like the current car, but the front tires are gonna hate it tho :O
Yeah it's not like you can't track the stock car (2nd gen or 1st gen); but rather whether it's economically reasonable (burning through tires, stressing the engine increasing the chances of a failure, changing oil more frequently, etc.) and pleasant (torque dip, understeer, worrying about oil temps).
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote