Old 12-27-2020, 09:59 AM   #15
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainf18 View Post
New to the forum, first post. I've been a Porsche guy for over 30 years. I love them. But I learned pretty quickly how expensive Porsche's are to maintain when you track them. So I started looking for an affordable track car that I can daily. I test drove a 2017 BRZ and loved the handling, steering, road feel etc, but I hated the power delivery. The torque dip was a deal breaker...Ended up buying an E90 BMW to track and daily.

With the new BRZ just announced I'm considering taking another look. I really prefer the styling of the new car. Tastes are specific to the individual but I think the designers hit it out of the park. Assuming all the other characteristics that I liked carry over, I'm hoping the power delivery problem (torque dip) is fixed.

I was able to screen grab the "in dash" hp/torque display. when compared to the "old" 2.0L the new 2.4 looks much improved.

Attachment 195948

Time will tell if I end up being a BRZ owner or not. All depends on the "butt dyno" when I test drive it.

Oh no, don’t say torque dip on this forum, you will trigger many and get presented with graphs showing cars with double the HP/Torque that also have dips.

Others have had the same observation as you with regards to the static graph and of course people have to point out that it’s a static image as if anyone was suggesting otherwise. The 2017 graph was inline with baseline dynos by owners so I have no reason to doubt the new static image is also accurate. If the new curve really is accurate then I suspect the new one will have less people saying it’s slow. It’s not an easy car to test drive properly. If you have a salesman in the car you’re not going to keep it over the dip the whole drive so naturally you walk away thinking it’s slow. When I drove mine I had my wife with me and the sales guy didn’t want to cram in the back so I was able to drive it properly. I did a long hold on the TC button and gave it a proper drive sideways. I was ready to end my drive short because I was already sold and my wife convinced me to test the radio and take it on the highway. It wasn’t until I bought a Twin and was doing typical daily driving that I discovered the dip.

If you simply want a Twin for the track the dip isn’t much of an issue. If your also daily driving and aren’t coming from a 1995 Civic DX then the new one is a better candidate.

I’m going to trigger some more people with my next statement, buy the manual! [emoji3]
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote