Old 09-19-2020, 12:56 AM   #20
Plumbus
Seņor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
I am asking myself the same thing? Not sure why the HKS coilovers have gotten so popular for this platform recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
The HKS coils, for when they were released, punched above their weight for a streetable, track capable coilover designed for the 86 platform, especially at a time when there weren't many options yet. I got mine with 1 year of use and 25000 kms on them for $1000 CAD and got 4 years and 50000 kms out of them myself before I had any serious problems, and the problems followed not 1 but 2 serious accidents. I'm not in any position to blame the coils or HKS for this although I admit I'm disappointed that they are not serviceable when the only thing wrong is the lower mount.

Now that the 86 platform has matured, I believe that there are more compelling offerings in the same range as what HKS is offering.

Regarding the products I listed, they were just the ones I found that ticked the boxes I need and I know people personally who are running them without complaint. My car still needs transmission work so I'm probably not going to be in a position to buy anything until next year either way. I actually think the RCE SS1 are extremely compelling though and will keep them in mind when I am preparing to upgrade again.
Are the RCE SS1 significantly better than HKS Hypermax coils? I recently bought a set of Hypermax IV SP coils for $1477 on ftspeed on their labor day sale and thought that was quite a deal for such good coilovers. I had also looked at the RCEs but the lowering camber plates confused me a bit as I'm not going for a stance build and I was also attracted to the inverted front shocks of the HKSs. What do you guys think?
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote