View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 12:22 PM   #13
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,477 Times in 974 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Insurance update.
The wife called our insurance company to add the Caterham and low and behold after 2 ½ hours and talking to three different people it seems that, QUOTE: “We do not insure that type of vehicle”. Furthermore, they all claimed that there was no record of my wife getting a quote for a Caterham. She asked to speak to a manager but was repeatedly declined. The best they would do was to ask a manager to look into the recording and we’d have to call back in 3 to 4 days. Plus, still no joy with lowering her rates.
I went ahead and insured the Caterham with Hagerty.
Well, this morning a manager called us. Turns out that they had asked the wife if Caterhams had been distributed in Canada? She asked, do you mean are they available for sale? Then said yes. What they actually meant was, were Caterhams imported and sold as new vehicles in Canada? We never did get an answer as to why that wasn’t explained or why a 30+ year old used Caterham imported into Canada from the US wasn’t insurable as a special interest vehicle?
So while the wife had this person on the phone she pressed for answers about her insurance. This person talked so much bull I couldn’t keep up. It seems that the wife had had a decreasing deductible on her last three vehicles and that transferred over to her new Crosstreck. However, it appears that the rates for that had gone up plus it was to reset each time she bought a new car. Bottom line is, the only way she can get a lower rate is to write a new policy and according to this person the lowest deductible she can get is $750 and not the decreasing type. After much discussion she did get my name taken off the policy as I now own a vehicle that is insured. That saved her a whopping $120!
In the mean time she had been phoning around to every insurance company we could think of. The best deals of course came with us transferring out house insurance too. BUT! So far none will take our house as it has forced air OIL heat. Some won’t even look at us because our house has actual wood burning fireplaces. WTF???
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (04-04-2024), soundman98 (04-07-2024)