Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #12
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallenj View Post
When I do shift into 4th I do depress the clutch all the way and it still does that quick grinding noise. I have tried to take it to 2 different dealerships one said there was no issues and the other said what I mentioned before. I have done this when the car was warm to I had been thinking it could have been because of a cold transmission but I had drove it all day and decided to floor it getting on the highway and it still happened. I will try a dealership again and if that doesn't work I will try to change my trans oil to see if that helps.I ll keep this thread up to date to help anyone else with this problem.
Changing your trans oil will not fix the broken parts in your transmission. It may mask the issue if you are very lucky. Even then, it will not mask it under all conditions. If it is grinding on normal engagement, something IS broken. Read my above post carefully. It was not a subject of speculation.

It is not because of a cold transmission. A cold transmission will cause different issues, not the one you have. A cold transmission with this synchro design will be very hard to shift, very notchy, and occasionally lock you out if you have poor technique. But it will NOT grind... If you drag the clutch and try to make it grind, it will lock you out of gear. If this doesn't happen, and it does grind, it is broken, and needs fixing.

You can make a transmission with correctly working baulk ring synchronizers grind, but it is a complicated process. Feel the shifter carefully, there are 2 separate and distinct "clicks" or "notches" (or whatever you want to call them) from neutral into each gear. If you move past the first click of the baulk ring falling into place and then hover on the edge of gear engagement, it will grind. Same goes to taking it only slightly out of gear and hovering.

I have taken apart more than a few transmissions because of this issue.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
BBDGriptonia (01-11-2016), dallenj (12-16-2015), Ultramaroon (12-14-2015)