View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #9
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My first thought is that this is throttle body related.

With these cars, accelerator pedal input is a request for throttle angle. If you aren't getting a response when you hit the gas pedal, it's cause the ECU doesn't even know what's going on, or it's in some kind of limp mode.

Usually, with limp modes you stay in limp mode until, at the earliest, you turn the key to off and then back on again. This doesn't sound like your symptom.

The intermittent nature of your issue make me think it's likely not just a dirty throttle body, but cleaning it might be a good idea just to rule it out as the cause of your issue.

The other potential I'm thinking could be happening is your throttle body has an internal mechanical failure that is just starting to manifest. An internal problem would not register a code until it's failing past whatever calibrated failure points these ECUs care about.

If you have the data to compare, I would look to see if you have something along the lines of "throttle angle desired" and "throttle angle actual". If you have these bits of data to analyze and they are not fairly close to each other, that could indicate an issue.

Of course, this is just off the top of my head. There could be many avenues of determining the fault as well as potential failure points.

After throttle body, I would take a close look at the data for the Mass Air Flow sensor, Engine Coolant Temperature sensor, and Intake Air Temperature sensor. If one of these sensors intermittently sends bad data your ECU will be making bad decisions.

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote