View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #91
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Given the 240sx weighs in around 2,800 lbs you'd need 250 WHP, seems reasonable based on a quick search and a good SR20DET so it comes down to personal preference and funding because I didn't care to look at how much it costs.

Then you've got to feed it fuel (a wash between the two), tires and brakes (I would guess Miata is cheaper on these two given weight and larger aftermarket) and entry fees (a wash). I am really starting to understand why the 240sx is so popular, very much a "I won't drive a Miata" car.

Aww yeah benchracing.
A STOCK S15 SR20DET (marginally more expensive than any other SR) makes 250hp (not at the wheels, but it's easy to get a little more out of it). The difference is the Miata can not support much past 250-300hp. The SR can support 350-450hp or even up to 700-800hp if you go with the VET VVL head. Obviously we're talking about much more money, but it's still an engine that originally came in the car and bolts right up to factory motor mounts, and it has much higher potential. Some people may not care about "potential" but I think it's an important thing to pay attention to because it gives you plenty of options when you start getting bored and come up with extra money to throw around.

Besides that, there is a lot of weight to lose in a 240sx. There are many out there at 2,200 - 2,500 pounds.

I also wouldn't say the Miata has a larger aftermarket. I think that shows you are fairly unfamiliar with the 240sx. The Miata is a popular car, mostly due to autocross (where it excels), and has a good sized aftermarket, but the 240sx aftermarket is easily just as large, and, honestly, probably larger. Have you seen how many parts are available for one? Literally every single thing you could possibly ever want.

It's obvious you're not showing the car any respect. I'm guessing you've never actually driven nor been in a decent one. It's so popular because it's a small, light RWD coupe that can be setup to handle very well and came with a turbocharged motor from the factory in most of the world. It does very well in various forms of motorsports and is relatively inexpensive compared to many other cars.

Don't get me wrong, the Miata is great. Better suspension design (double wishbones all around), lighter, short wheelbase, etc.... This makes it very agile and especially well suited to tight corners (perfect for autocross, like the S2000, but much lighter)... but it also has downsides. The stock suspension on it is also very soft and not track-oriented, the NA/NB chassis has no rigidity (very floppy), and the power potential is very low without going with a K-series or LSx engine. The MR2 Spyder is great too, and I, personally, think a turbocharged K24 MR2 would make an awesome track/time attack car... but stock, it's underpowered, and it has a much smaller aftermarket than the other 2.

With all that said, I didn't notice the OP lives in California, nor did I notice he said he would have to daily drive it for a little while. All I saw was "track car" until just now. So, maybe there are better options for him... For the record, I live in Florida, where tons of SR-powered S-chassis cars roam around the streets without any legal issues. There are even some S15s down here driving around. haha.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote