Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,434 Times in 6,149 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Power = Voltage x Current. Capacity is the amount of energy it holds. A simple example would be to compare water in a tank. The capacity of the tank is simply the size of the tank, or rather, is a measure of how much water is in the tank. The size of the hole/spout and how much the tank was tipped towards the spout would determine the flow out of the tank or the power.

I'm pretty sure you are thinking of the power of the motor and not power of the battery. In this case, the power of the battery is the rate of discharge. Put that into a motor that is capable of creating a strong enough magnetic field to create a lot of torque and you have the Tesla's powerful motor. Both the motor and battery will determine the torque to the wheels. The car analogy would be like engine displacement and the fuel pump, fuel regulator and fuel injectors. It doesn't matter how big the engine is if there is only enough fuel delivery to make a fraction of the potential of the engine. Most fuel systems are proportional to the displacement of their engines, and it is the same for the EVs with their motors and batteries.

Notionally? Did you mean notably? I think the 0-60 is 5.3 seconds, which is faster than the 6.1 seconds for the new twins, but I don't really get your point because the car is a compact sedan that competes with the BMW 3-Series and not the twins. Compare the dimensions, weight, 0-60 and 5-7 year cost of ownership to the BMW 330i, and the Model 3 Standard Range Plus is not significantly heavier or different. It definitely isn't 400 lbs different.
I think the problem is that your chart was confusing with it's lack of labels describing what seems to be car output, rather than maximum rated output from the battery to which you seem to be referring. I did find your lecture on basic engineering quite amusing though. Haven't heard that one since freshman year.

---

Notional:
1 : theoretical, speculative.
2 : existing in the mind only : imaginary.
3 : given to foolish or fanciful moods or ideas.

I thought the conversation was steering in the direction of lightweight sports cars, for which it seems you offered the model 3 as a reasonable alternative. I wouldn't call any of those cars sports cars or light. I do admit I got the numbers wrong. Hence the "notionally".
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote