View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Leviathan83

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Camshafts upgrade

Hi to everyone.

I'm planning to modify FA20 engine with forged internals, new valves, new valve springs and install the HKS Supercharger V2.
In these days I'm considering also the possibility to upgrade also camshafts with something more "spicy".
However someone says that this is a mod that has some issues, because the benefits concern mid and high-range power with loss in low-range... is that correct?

Except for HKS Cams (that require hks stroker kit) I found only Piper Cams as alternative, in the configuration:
- Fast Road SUBFA20BP270 262° 266°
- Ultimate Road SUBFA20BP285 272° 266°
I wrote to Piper Cams about installation and they said the 270 fast road camshaft should allow to install without the need for any changes or modifications; the 285 will require valve train component modification, so valve springs and it is possible you may need to shim in case of a clearance issue.
In pratical, what kind of work it's need to install the 285 cams to avoid clearance issue?
Could be relevant the difference between 270 and 285 in terms of performance?
And is it a modification that makes HKS supercharger (and other upgrades on internals component and valvetrain I'm planning to do) more efficient and usable?

Sorry for my question (and my English), I'm not an expert!
I know that there are several posts about camshafts; in these days I read lots of them (especially about Piper Cams) but I didn't find informations about the questions I have.

Thanks to all of you for answering!
Leviathan83 is offline   Reply With Quote