Old 04-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #1659
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Something else I feel I need to point out, hopefully without getting into a religious argument is that a large number of these "men [and women] of science" are themselves devoutly religious. I will present this concept for your perusal and then drop the subject.

Science provides greater understanding of what God has created. God gives us many signs, and we see more of them through scientific discovery. In addition, most religions have standing instructions, notionally through a messenger of God, to help your fellow man. So therefore, using the greater understanding gained through science to prevent further human suffering is work ordained by God. Yes, mortals are fallible, we don't know everything God knows, of course, but seeking further understanding of the universe allows us to better emulate the values passed down to us by God and become more perfect followers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Apparently not...

Where did I spout religious dogma? Where did I assert my perspective as more accurate than another? All I did was provide a perspective for consideration. The person I was responding to identified the name they call their higher power, so I was presenting my perspective on the matter in a straightforward way that seemed to be consistent with that. It is their choice to take that to heart or not. It is apparently your choice to reject that thought. That is fine, but you really ought to be a bit more respectful towards others. It is entirely possible to make a contrary point without being insulting.
See above. The person said God with a big G and that means you know their denomination or religion enough to feel comfortable giving advice on how they should interpret the relationship of science and God from the perspective of their faith? You used the words God, but fill that in with Allah or Virmu and your comments would be identical, yet obviously misplaced, and yet you fail to see the trouble with providing someone else insight into their religion that you have no idea what it is, and I am disrespectful?