View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 02:20 AM   #19
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, I'm reminded that the car was in a front-end accident before so it's possible that has complicated what is available from an alignment. Either way, now that the car is aligned, it looks like the rear might actually ride a bit lower than the front so I think a bit more adjusting is in order anyways. I'll use that opportunity to put in bolts with more adjustability and book another alignment.

For now I've been driving with a proper alignment since Monday morning and can give some early impressions.

Dynamically, on uneven pavement, the car is *far* more composed than it was with stock suspension. Stock suspension feels very wallowy with a lot of movement that feels kind of like a chair with a leg too short that tends to bounce back and forth at opposite corners. The SS1 just soaks it up at each corner and the whole car doesn't get nearly as upset. The HKS suspension was also much like this although I couldn't say which was ultimately better.

The other thing I can note is that the rear of the car is much more confidence inspiring on the SS1 in general. Certainly more than the stock suspension and I even think it's better than the HKS in this regard. There is one corner in particular on my commute home that is up hill, off camber, and heavily cracked pavement where going full throttle on the HKS or even the stock suspension would result in the rear of the car stepping out. Testing this same corner on the SS1, so far the rear has actually remained stable which is a nice feeling for a change.

On overall ride comfort, the SS1 is pretty close to stock with a single exception and is so far better than HKS was, in any situation, particularly in the rear. It kind of felt like the HKS coils maybe didn't have enough spring rate for the travel in the strut because deep potholes were extremely crashy. My only complaint about comfort on the SS1 isn't a general complaint but rather a very specific one, which is going over a particular set of uneven train tracks that are notably more comfortable on stock suspension. You have to drive these particular tracks very slow or you'll break something, and the stiffer suspension combined with uneven tracks makes the car bounce around a lot.

Anyways, that's all for now. I'll update again once I get any further.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (05-08-2021), Racecomp Engineering (05-06-2021), sato (07-07-2021), Thefalls (05-06-2021)