View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #23
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Header and tune are worth it. Buy what you can afford. I always upgrade one thing at a time. First was panel filter, not sure I felt anything. Then I went with a tune first. Not much difference at low RPM but much better at higher speeds on the highway when downshifting and passing. So $500 bucks for oft and it was a small upgrade. Then did jdl catless header and catted/resonated front pipe. This flattened torque curve as people say and you can feel it. Next I went with Crawford blocks which seemed to help at higher speeds as well. Done modding, nothing left to do power wise other than E85 or FI, which I have no plans for. I like my MPG on my 78 mile round trip commute.

I also own an 04 WRX that I have been modding since May 2003. Did the same thing one mod at a time. I can tell you that going stage 1 was very noticeable. Then stage 2 header and tune was a huge bump in power. Turning up boost works, duh. It’s why we love turbo cars.

Some perspective, I drive both every week. My WRX has many suspension mods and turns on rails, I have it set up as a very neutral car, no understeer with the rear coming around very nicely. I did not think I could have more fun in the twisties, but the BRZ with the ass hanging out a bit is more fun, maybe not safer or faster but definitely more fun.

In straight pulls, the WRX takes it easily, but the BRZ hooks up too, you just need higher rpm. I have to admit it does sound nice when I do it. Both cars you are breaking laws quick.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote