View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #13
arnie0000

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mt. Fuji View Post
I went to Sansone toyota (Sansone Auto Mall) for my recall, motor started knocking 1600 miles after recall (July 8, 2019), no lights came on, I suspect main bearing 4 spun, currently in the process of determining cause and replacing engine, looks like dealer/toyota is gonna eat the cost (according to assistant service manager).

Youre chance of having a catastrophic failure IMO is about 15-25%, theres a guy whose been drifting his car that had the recall done at the same dealer as me and as far as I know its still good. I saw 5 other FRS's getting the recall done at the same time as me, but I do not know their current state. My buddy's car spun all 4 of his bearings and seized the engine after 500 miles.

IMO if you have a car with a modded engine/drivetrain such as tune, exhaust(headers), FI, power blocks, e85, etc or plan to do such mod within 3000 miles I would not do the recall.
If you have a fairly stock car, that choice is up to you.

After doing the recall, would I do it again, 50/50, probably not unless I had a leak from the valve cover or timing chain cover.

BTW im in essex county new jersey, should meet up once my car has a new engine
My FRS is stock. I have no mods done on them. My thought is that I am already past the engine warranty. And I called Crystal Auto Mall on Rt 22. They strongly recommended to get the fix done. Also, I talked to the technician there and he has done few of these repairs so far and no issues yet.
arnie0000 is offline   Reply With Quote