Old 03-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vehicle mileage: 146,000 miles
Vehicle make: FR-S
Miles after recall: ~600 miles
Other work done with recall: spark plugs, sprocket,2 timing chains,2 lever cp-chn tens,chain guides, 2 chain tensioners, fuel delivery pipe.
Cost: 0
Loaner car: Corolla
Time in the shop: 3 weeks
Dealership: Mike Erdman Toyota, Cocoa Florida

I've got a story to tell. I will try to be brief.
Called them about the recall, got scheduled for two weeks later. Went to the dealership and talked to who I thought was Jay the service manager and he said they would do the spark plugs and TOB for free. Great. (Turns out it wasn't Jay it was his brother.)
Went by the dealership the day before the recall to ask about removing my ESC. Talked to some other Service Manager guy and he said it was OK just disconnect the power leads. I told him about getting the spark plugs and TOB changed for free and he said no way. I said fine, I'll bring it somewhere else and drove off. Before I got out of the dealership I figured I should get this guy's name. He gave me his card and said let's go talk to Jay. The last time I dealt with Jay, he was the service manager at the old smaller location. That was five years ago when they changed my transmission. He was a great guy, totally on the customer's side. Now they moved to a new HUGE location and now Jay is the Service Director. So went and talked to Jay about him saying the spark plugs and TOB will be free. He said it wasn't me and wanted to charge me. I told him I know what's involved here and it should be free. He left came back and said OK and suggested I change the valve seals while they're at it for $400. I said OK.
Dropped the car off the next day and told the service advisor about the spark plugs, TOB and valve seals. She didn't know anything about. We go talk to Jay. He has no evidence of the $400 guides now they're $500. I say fine but I want an invoice before they do anything. They say OK I'll have one by the end of the day. Didn't happen. I thought about it overnight and decided not to pay $500 for something that ain't broke. Got there at 8:30 am to tell Jay to cancel the recall, I don't want it done. He says too late they already started. I was pissed. I told him fine, just do the recall for free. Forget about the sparkplugs, TOB and seals. This is Friday.
I get a call from Jay about 4 o'clock. He says they found evidence of an "overrev" and I need to take a look. Went there the next day 8:00 am. The service dept is closed. Jay shows me my engine and the valve timing is off. By about one tooth. I told him this is impossible, you guys must have changed it. He gave me a list of parts Toyota recommends changing. $748.34 worth of parts. I went and got my camera and took pictures noting that everything was in pristine condition. I even pointed out that the chains, sprockets, guides and tensioners were in perfect condition. Then he mentioned the CEL the car came in with. I told him he was completely full of shit. The only CEL the car ever had was 5 years ago when I put the ESC on without a tune. I told him I don't think the car would even run in this condition. I told him I was going to call Corporate. He gave me the number.
I didn't do anything until Tuesday. Thought I would give Jay a chance to weasel out of the situation. Called Jay asked what's going on? He said nothing, have you talked to corporate? I said no, I wanted to give you a chance, but if that's what you want , so be it. Called corporate several times over a couple weeks just trying to get a third party to look at the engine. What it finally came down to was it was between me and Jay.
In the mean time, my loaner car had a maintainence alarm came on after the second week. Called them and said don't worry about it. Called them again and told them I don't know how long I will need the car, may be months for all I know. They said bring it by. I go there and the say Jay wants to talk to me. Oh no. He said he worked it out with the regional manager and that they would pay for all the recommended parts and they would change the spark plugs for free. Car should be done tomorrow. Went and picked it up the next day. The car runs perfect. Checked the oil and noticed it wasn't my dipstick. The oil was WAY overfilled and I noticed the dipstick tube was glued in.
Well that was 11 days and 600 miles ago and so far no problems at all. Hope it doesn't blow up. Here's my invoice.
Attached Images

WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-12-2019), ddevl_86 (03-25-2021), humfrz (03-12-2019), squall leonhart (03-12-2019), Tcoat (03-14-2019), Teseo (03-12-2019)